[TenTec] Question re Orion vs Icom IC-7800

W0YG, Charlie Summers w0yg at myawai.com
Thu Jul 28 08:35:33 EDT 2005

Icom used glowing terms to describe their 7800 radio, terms that really
don't relate to meaningful test results.  This is called specmanship.  Icom
based its specs on 100kHz and 20kHz spacing as I recall, essentially
meaningless for us Orion types.  Close in, as in 2kHz spacing per Sherwood
Engineerings website listed below, are impartial test results which show how
well the various receivers compare.  This is where the Orion shines with the
600 Hz INRAD filter.  The 7800 falls off a bit at that spacing because the
interfering signal is inside Icom's narrow roofing filter.

73,

Charlie, W0YG..>>