[TenTec] Need advice on purchasing used Omni VI

Jim McDonald jim at n7us.net
Thu Jul 28 10:06:40 EDT 2005

I had an OMVI-VI which I had T-T convert to an Option 3.  I very much liked
the simplicity of the radio, as well as the QSK.  I disliked the fact that
it didn't shift the center frequency when I wanted to use a low CW pitch,
(e.g., 400 Hz) and the fact that I had to buy a dedicated FSK filter for
RTTY that used up a precious slot.  I also thought it was less than robust
on SSB TX.  In the end, I sold it to get a used MP since I wanted dual
receive, which I loved for split-frequency DXing, primarily on CW.

In answer to your question about birdies, yes, mine had birdies on 10M.  As
I remember they weren't that strong and weren't a major problem for me.

Jim N7US