[TenTec] purchase question (Pegasus)

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Wed Jun 1 09:11:47 EDT 2005

Ralph:

Even though I no longer have my Jupiter I found its computer personnna a
definite part of its attractiveness and versatility. I also used Carl's
N4PY control software (fantasitc). During the months that passed since I
traded my Jupiter for my Omin-VI+ (which has the bare minimum of
computer rig control functions) I have often considered purchasing a
used Pegasus.... not to replace any of my rigs but to augment them
instead. I would love to be able to write beacon software that actually
listens through a rig for real time reception, etc.

Even though operating my Jupiter via software was 'neat' I rarely did so
other than general frequency control for logging and DX spotting....
choosing instead to use its own front panel phyusical controls almost
exclusively.

I think I would find a Pegasus a great 'second' rig but I am not sure I
would want it for my primary rig unless I basically had a dedicated,
very quiet, computer... like an older laptop... sitting comfortably in
front of me at my operating position (a virtual front panel). Funny
thing is that I have been working with computers nearly as long as I
have 'played' with amateur radio nevertheless where radio is concerned I
am very tactile.... I like to spin knobs, click switches and watch
S-meter needles bounce around.

Having said all that how can you really go wrong? If it isn't what you
want you can always resell it. Can't imagine it not being worth at least
that much for some years to come.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT