[TenTec] purchase question

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 10:06:41 EDT 2005

That's an excellent price. The Pegasus is one of the most
under recognized radios out there. While it is not a top end
performing contesting or DX'ing mnachine it is still a very
good bang for the buck radio. With N4PY software it has user
functionality and flexibility that radios costing several
times its price don't have. Pair it with a second one and
you'll have dual RX and spectrum sweep functionality that
rivals $3K+ radios. And if you approach it with an *open
mind* you can easily get past the idea that a radio must have
a big tuning knob and a bunch of other knobs and buttons, ...
because they don't.

One thing to keep in mind is that low end cast off computers
are not neccessarialy a good idea. My experience has been
that each newer and faster computer I bought was *less* noisy
than the one it replaced. So older PC's are not always
quieter. You also do not want to short change the CPU
horsepower for the control software. A 500Mhz or faster, and
64MB or more memory machine should be adequate unless you
have a bunch of other stuff running at the same time. PC's
are cheap, so that's not the place to skimp.

Duane
N9DG