[TenTec] Flex-Radio compared to Pegasus

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 22:10:46 EDT 2005

--- Stuart Rohre <rohre at arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Get the QST reviews of the SDR radio and the Pegasus side
> by side, and you will have your information.

Not really. The review of the SDR-1000 was done with the
radio incorrectly configured. This miss configuration was due
to the proper instructions for its setup not being made
available to the ARRL. Follow the "Letter to the Editor" link
under this page for the details regarding the setup and
configuration issues with the QST SDR-1000 review:

http://www.flex-radio.com/articles_files/index.htm

No matter how you slice it the SDR-1000 is a continually
evolving radio that is highly dependent on how you set it up
and which sound card you use. The sound card choice alone can
make a huge difference in its performance.

Is it a perfect radio? No not at all. Just peruse the
discussion forum and email archives for it and you will learn
all about its shortcomings, limitations, and issues that
folks encounter. But you will also read about the things that
make folks go "wow that's cool" too. And you'll read all
about the *positive* thoughts and ideas that users are
posting to make it a *better* radio as well. It's *all*
there.

However be careful of the information in the older postings,
in many cases those issues no longer apply and/or have been
addressed with HW tweaks and/or software.

--- Stuart Rohre <rohre at arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Grant,
> Consider the SDR is a direct conversion receiver compared
> to the superhet
> and filtering options of the K2.   The earlier you filter
> in a radio the
> better, so the conventional front end of the K2 has some
> advantage there.

Actually I'd say the SDR-1000 has the advantage here because
it is direct conversion. Especially when you consider that
the SDR-1000's *direct* RF to audio baseband conversion is a
*sampling* process which is a *linear* process, not a
non-linear like all "mixers" inherently are.

I just wish I had a K2 and Orion to play with too, then I'd
have a better "hands on" sense of exactly how they all stack
up to each other.

Duane
N9DG