[TenTec] Voltages on 50 ohm Dummy Load

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Thu Jun 9 20:49:27 EDT 2005

>I measure the peak to peak value using my scope.  Then power equals E
>squared divided by R.  This is good enough for "government work".

This is wrong! Using peak voltage instead of RMS voltage of the peaks
will result in a power miscalculation by a factor of two. Using Peak to
Peak voltage instead of RMS voltage of the peaks would result in a
miscalculation by a factor of 8!

Peak voltage is 1.414 X RMS. Peak to peak voltage is 2 X Peak or 2 X
1.414 X RMS. When you square this in the power equation your
miscalculated power would be 8 X the actual power.

DE N6KB