[TenTec] re should i buy an orion

CATFISHTWO@aol.com CATFISHTWO at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 15:32:53 EDT 2005

Perhaps the reason you could not get it to work in 45 minutes is that some
one had screwed it up royaly before you got to it, and maybe it needed to go to
 an operating capable set up before you got to play with it.  for  instance
close the BW down to 0 and lock the rig on vfo2 and put it in cw  mode with
the hi cut and low cut crossed up, and the power to 0,  etc.. this would give
you a signal with 0 band width and no power and be  darned hard to fix with out
unlocking the vfo and such. RESET time.

I took my orion out of the box, stuck it in the hole in the operating
station plugged in power, antenna, ground and turned it on.  boot up took  about 20
seconds, I pushed the 20 meter button , a spun the dial, keyed up and  made my
first QSO. that was easy.

 I played with it for a bit, and my friend and ten tec afficinaido  came by
and we did a firm ware up grade, ( I knew we had to reset, upgrade and  the
reset again so I looked in the manual for how to master reset.. I know that  is
cheating but...) turned it back on and am still using it over a month  later.

 I have actually only done 3 master resets other than those for up  grade.  I
find most of my problem is that I really don't pay attention to  what I
pushed in what order, and oops, but now I have my prefrences iset up in  the user1-
user 2 buttons.

 So if I get the band with smaller than the band pass or something  silly I
use user 1 to go to my rag chew setup ( 50 watts, nice bassy mic and  widre
band with tx and rx, or to user 2 which is narrower bandwidth, 65 watts  for the
linear, higher pitch on tx voice and narrower filtering, and more DSP  for
contesting and dx.  but it ain't that hard to use.

Folks it is really a pretty easy rig to use. A lot of the controls are  quite
similar to my Icom - 756  and ste up quite easy.  they both have  band with
and band pass tuning,  selectable RIT/XIT , main and sub  recievers and many
other similar setups.  of all my rigs I can compare the  Orion to the 756  for
ease of use. I do think the Orion has a much better  reciever and  a lot of the
functions are produced in a radically different  fasjion, but end result is
quite similar.

So go play with one, don't let it scare you, their is nothing short of
hooking up the power backwards you cna do to really hurt this rig. Its a  keeper.

tom N6AJR

In a message dated 6/21/2005 11:54:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,