[TenTec] re should i buy an orion now

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Tue Jun 21 19:29:44 EDT 2005

>For these reasons I'm holding off my Orion purchase until v2 of the firmware comes out and
>the Orion owners/users/abusers have their say. I don't demand a *perfect* radio.
>Just one that doesn't hang or require a HW reset because I twiddled a knob the wrong way -
>one that works reliably and predictably when I want it and when I need it.
>
>Harry Reed, AB7YF

And then are you waiting for version 2.5? version 3.0? The problem with
having a firmware updateable transceiver is that in general people won't
feel it is completed until it does what they want it to do or the
manufacturer stops supporting it (I am NOT starting any rumors!). With
other, more conventional, hardware dependent transceivers people just
live with what they get till something that much better shows up then
they get that version 2.0.... Hmmmmm IC-756, IC-756 Pro, IC-756 Pro II,
errrr IC-756-Pro III.... are all upgrades aren't they? Let me think, the
upgrade from Pro II to Pro III cost about a thousand dollars.... Gets
you thinking.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT