[TenTec] Orion DSP questions for CW ops

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Wed Jun 22 00:35:40 EDT 2005

Tim, I'm far from a cracker-jack CW operator and feel timid about
sharing what I do, but in the interest in keeping the thread alive
and hoping those with more skills and experience will add to it, here
is what I do:

I prefer 1.371 over 1.372 for reasons I've posted before.  As a
result, and because I live in a noisy urban neighborhood, I often use
NR, NB --both DSP and hardware.

I have the InRad 600hz filter in the 1khz slot and use that most all
the time.

I generally have the AGC set as follows--remember I'm adjusting
Threshold within the menus and not from the RF Gain control.
Slow--.3 sec   10 db, 3.03 uv  (hang, decay, threshold)
Medium .3 sec, 20 db, 3.03 uv
Fast     .1 sec, 80 db, 3.03 uv
Program  .3 sec, 10 db, 20+ uv.
Most often I tune the bands in medium AGC and adjust according to
conditions.

Of course these are starting points for me.  When I used 1.372, I
hardly used the NR and cranked the RF gain down to 70-80 most of the
time.  Turning the NR circuit on defeated the Threshold setting and I
found it noisier and didn't see any increased S?n ratio.  So back to
1.371.

For Rise/Fall and Taps, I have just stuck with the default settings
cuz I don't know any better frankly.