[TenTec] RFI question for Orion and other TT rigs

rsrocket1@comcast.net rsrocket1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 24 11:00:41 EDT 2005

Dear List,
This is in no way a flame on anything, but I would like to know which Ten-Tec rigs are prone to a "dirty" RF shack.  I've heard the Jupiter is prone to having problems in a shack with stray RF in it.  I would like to know if the Orion has the same problem or if any of the older TT rigs do.  I know for a fact that the Century 21 does not because I used it without problems.

I know that cleaning up the RF is the best solution, but I am always experimenting with antennas, feed lines, baluns, etc. and I have never had operational problems with the Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood or Alinco radios that I've used.   I've been "tickled" a number of times when touching knobs while transmitting, but it seems to be as much dependent on the radio as it is with the antenna or feeding system.

By the way, I just picked up my first Yaesu HF rig, an FT-101E basket case.  What a joy it is to work on.  Separate removable PC boards, lots of easily reached adjustment points, and an excellent user and service manual seemingly written for a competent ham, not a service technician to understand.  A couple of evenings and it was back to good working order.  It’s nice to have an appliance to "turn on and talk", but it’s also a lot of fun to "work" a radio while tuning across the bands.

73
Roy
AD6ZU