[TenTec] RFI question for Orion and other TT rigs

n4lq n4lq at insightbb.com
Sun Jun 26 20:58:07 EDT 2005

Bob:
 I agree. The radio is usually at fault. After all, radios do produce the RF
and it should be able to survive in it's own RF field. This goes to
peripherals such as keyers too. I've had some early PIC based MFJ keyers go
totally crazy when exposed to a little RF. My newer MFJ-495 seems to be
immune. No, you can't completely blame the environment. A radio should not
act up even if the antenna is only 10ft away or directly overhead. Certainly
some rigs are more susceptible. My IC-706 mobile hates 17 meters. The cable
between the rig and face plate seems to be at fault.
Rather than blaming RFI on aluminum, I think the blame goes to the lack of
bypassing on IC leads and external jacks. Comparing the schematic between
various models and brands of rigs reveals which manufactures have taken the
greatest care to provide RF bypassing.

Steve Ellington
N4LQ at insightbb.com