[TenTec] Comparisons of Relay noise in Ten-Tec Amplifiers

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Wed Mar 2 23:16:39 EST 2005

Hi all,

There has been a lot of discussion about the relative noise levels of
relays in Orions and Omni VIs. Some complain that the relays are too
noisy and others say they can barely hear the relay noise in their rig.

I am interested in opinions on vacuum relay noise in Ten-Tec amplifiers.
I own two Ten-Tec amplifiers, a Titan 425 and a Hercules II 420. They
both have vacuum relays which appear to be the same type, and the vacuum
relays switch in both amplifiers when operating QSK. My Hercules II
vacuum relay is very quiet, and the Titan vacuum relay is quite loud.
Since the relays appear to be very similar, if not identical, I wonder
if I could quiet the Titan relay down to a noise level similar to that
of the Hercules II, by mounting it differently. Are all Titan 425 vacuum
relays loud? I usually wear headphones anyway. When running the Hercules
II I don't have to wear phones. When running the Titan 425 I have to
wear them.

Thanks,

DE N6KB