[TenTec] Comments from an ORION user

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Sat Mar 5 08:27:34 EST 2005

Beppe,

I agree with your comments.  The Orion is a great performing rig, but the
user interface presentation on the screen is not up to the same standard and
degrades the perceived quality of the radio.  I also find that it makes the
operation more cumbersome.  By contrast, look at the original Icom 756.  It
had a very similar single color screen. However, the presentation was very
smooth. When I first saw one I thought that the display wasn't very
attractive, but after using one for a few hours, I discovered that the
interface was well thought out and very intuitive and that the information
was presented in a very usable manner. The frequency sweep was easy to use
and very useful.

I'm sure that the display presentaion on the Orion could be improved to some
extent. However, it seems to me that TenTec is not concerned with this. To
me, the screen looks like it was just thrown together.  For example, while
the sub VFO frequency and the smaller text on the screen appears in a serif
(Courrier) style font, the main VFO frequency has no serifs (Arial).  Also,
look at the icons that indicate headphone routing of the audio.  The right
side earpiece is smaller than the left side.  Even in the lastest (1.372)
firmware, there is at least one instance of where a pop-up screen element
doesn't completly erase itself when done (select RF gain and bring up and
cancel the sweep display).

I am also concerned that it appears that some hardware was left out of the
design with the assumption that it could be replaced by DSP code or it
wasn't important.  While there is audio available on the rear panel AUX
connector, there is no way to control audio routing to this jack. The audio
available on the two output pins on this jack are byproducts of how the
audio is routed to the speaker and headphones. There are some routing
scenarios where NO audio appears on the AUX connector, even though it is
listed as a FIXED level output.  I was told that the problem here was that
there is not a separate DAC or amplifier for the AUX connector so it has to
use whatever audio is available from the other DACs.

I agree with you that the sweep is a disappointment.  I suspect that the
lack of finer resolution at the smaller sweep bandwitdths may be a hardware
limitation.

73,
Mark

> Hi friends,
>
> here few comments after the first trial period with the TT Orion.
> My first comment is: I like the gear "but.....", always we have comments
an I would like to see my gear improved, if it could be possible.
> I know many other ham wrote their suggestions.
>
> - The S meter and power analog indication are approximate and without the
damping action to protect from the needle knock.
>   So TT should make some action to solve definitively the defect.
> - The second receiver bar graph S meter is totally useless and by removing
this indication TT could have a free area useful to re-arrange better
>    the screen.
> - I would like to know your opinion about the filter (PBT and BW) graphic
presentation. At the present is totally useless, inaccurate and ugly.
>   So why TT should occupy portion of the screen for a bad indication?
>   TT could study a different graphic solution and perhaps we could have a
more readable presentation.
> - Sweep display below 72 KHz is completely useless. I would suggest to
have few settings: one for +/- 18 KHz and the second for +/- 36 KHz.
>   TT should try to get a better solution. Otherwise remove it.
> - When the sweep is OFF the same screen area could be useful to show the
UTC and Local time, isn't it? As an option, obviously.
> - As we need to calibrate the internal 500 and 250 Hz filter could it be
possible to generate an internal signal for this and other purpose too?

> Do you think It could be possible to introduce these and other possible
changes in a future firmware release?