[TenTec] DC power questions re Ten-Tec 516

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 7 22:50:22 EST 2005

The radio is spec'd at 13.8 Volts, ie. a fully charged battery on a car.

However, since the fans used are 12 volt fans, the radio will operate on 12
volts DC.

In the Scout, the stability suffered at less than 11 volts, and I am sure
with more digital circuits the Argo V is similar.   You have to have a 3
volt differential for voltage regulators commonly used to regulate reliably.

I do not have the current drains except as shown on Ten Tec site for receive
only 950 ma, and transmit at 20 watts being 7 amps max.  You could safely
figure a quarter of that for 5 watts at 13.8 Volts.

73,
Stuart
K5KVH