[TenTec] ORION_ANT_SELECTION

K Van Horn k7ec at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 13 13:32:25 EST 2005

Greetings George,

It is entirely normal!! When you connect 2 receivers to one antenna, the
signal is divided equally with a splitter, which sends half of the signal to
each receiver(load). If it important to hear the full signal level on one
receiver, use only one receiver(assuming that you don't get a better
listening result by using the stereo effect of 2 receivers on the same
frequency feeding seperate ears which in turn feed your brain, allowing your
brain to pull really weak signals out of the noise)! The Orion has a main
receiver which is exceedingly quiet at low signal level due to the use of
the patented Jones oscillator circuits. Given the Japanese distain for
paying royalties, I would suspect that the Jones low noise oscillator
circuits will not be available in the Japanese radios until the patent runs
out(just like Icom did with the Digi-Sel feature on the 7800--my JRC radios
have had this feature for many years...JRC held the patent, and when it
expired, Icom used it as a big improvement in their technology on the 7800).

73 es Gud DX,

Kirby, K7EC