[TenTec] Orion Processing

Bob Cunnings cunnings at lectrosonics.com
Thu Mar 17 17:49:58 EST 2005

As for the Sharc DSP parts, they appear to be misidentified on the
schematic. I believe they are AD21065L, really, right? I've never heard of
an AD21D56L.

If so, the 21065 ran at a maximum of 66 MHz, while the next generation 21161
(for instance, just one member of the 2116x family) runs at a maximum speed
of 100 MHz. However, the 21161 has 2 floating point units, whereas the 21065
has only one... so in theory a 3x performance boost can be realized with the
newer part.

Here we've used the 21161 in recent products, but it's quite impractical to
touch the existing 21065 designs; there is nothing remotely close to a
drop-in upgrade possible because of the huge differences between Sharc
generations.

RC