[TenTec] Orion noise blanker

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Thu Mar 17 20:36:11 EST 2005

The Orion is still on my 'possible' new rig list and I am very curious
about its noise blanker functionality.

I live in a very troublesome location for electrical and pulse generated
noise. There have been times when I have had to deal with a solid
blanket of noise from 3 to 300 MHz. Fortunately after several years work
and complaints PG&E has repaired a number of my noise sources. However,
during this process I discovered the value of a good discrete component
(IF) noise blanker.

I owned a Jupiter and I still have an RX-350 which both supposedly had
noise blankers, however both were totally useless to me. The noise
reduction functionality helped somewhat but overall I had to rely on my
23 year old Omni-C which had a noise blanker that 'worked' for me. Under
typical situations it could knock the noise from 20 dB over 9 to S-4.
Eventually I gave up on the Jupiter and traded it for an Omni-VI+ which
has a supperb noise blanker. Then I added a Paragon which had a very
effective noise blanker as well but not equal to the Omni-VI+. Why even
my two Scouts have noise blankers that function nicely. Sooooooo what
about the Orion? does it have two noise blankers? One in DSP and one in
the IF itself?

My noise here is typical of electrical arc sources. Sometimes the pulses
are fairly spaced out so that even though they sound just as broadband
even my TD-940S noise blanker does a great job.... other times that
noise is so intense that even my best noise blanker is only able to
marginally impact it.

So, Orion owners... I am not asking how you would re-engineer the
Orion... just do you have noise issues at your location and if you do
how effective do you find the Orion in dealing with it?

73,
Jerry, KG6TT