[TenTec] PTO non-rebuild solution

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Thu Mar 24 18:41:38 EST 2005

The PTO consists of wire wrapped around a cardboard tube with a screw shaft
going through the middle of it. When you rebuild them, you take it all
apart, clean and grease the moving parts...This does not include the
coil.....
Now how may I ask, could you squirt the poor thing full of oil without
screwing up your coil. I would think that soaking the coil in oil would not
be good practice.
Furthermore, I seems like you would almost have to take the thing apart
anyway so why not do it right? I have rebuilt dozens of PTOs and to me, the
hardest part is getting the crazy dial skirt back on! I've developed a few
tricks for that one.
Steve Ellington
N4LQ at iglou.com