[TenTec] care and feeding of TiTan fan ..

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Fri Mar 25 10:56:28 EST 2005

Tim,

I just tested a Titan425 for a friend of mine. He had it sitting in his
closet for 14 years!! Removed the tubes. Used a computer pc card flange to
over ride the interlock switches on the amp unit. Then turned on the unit
(amp & ps) and just let it sit, turned on for a full day. After that was
successful, reinstalled the tubes, turned on the system again, and let it
sit in the standby mode for another full day. (This pretty much showed the
ps was OK and the tubes also were OK)

After the 'burn-in', removed the pc card flange, put the cover on and fired
it up again. Turned it  off, put one drop of sewing machine oil on the fan
bearing felt washer. Then turned it on and put RF power into it. Was
fortunate in that it worked perfect. Later checked max power output and got
the full 1.5kw out except on 10m, where max I could get was about 1350
watts.

So even though there is some risk that the ps filter caps can dry out, if
you take it slow, it may work fine after not being used for 10 years!

Good luck with it.

Tommy

W4BQF