[TenTec] Color for the Orion sreen

Randy K4QO k4qo at earthlink.net
Tue May 3 12:54:09 EDT 2005

Folks,

I'm new to this reflector and I apologise if this has been
covered.

I was a bit dissappointed in the murky display on the
Orion - its not as crisp as the ads show.  Beyond that the
radio is pretty much a masterpiece with plenty of potential!

I have used colored Gels for different projects and I
wondered if using a particular color would help with the
contrast a bit.  Gels are used on stage lights to color the
light for effects.  They are available at a production
supply store for about $5 a sheet.  One sheet will do
several Orion size screens.

One gel color that makes the display have about the same
golden hue as the meter is Apollo AP7500 (Burnt Orange)  It
looks quite red but the combination of the blueish light
source in the Orion offsets the color a bit.  The contrast
is quite good on both normal and reversed screens as the
color seems to filter out the blue a bit.  They stay in
place mostly from air pressure.  No need to do anything but
cut it to the right size and carefully put it in place,
tucking the edge past the bezel.  To remove them is easier -
a small piece of masking tape placed on the center and
slowly pulling will make it just pop out.  Pull fast and the
tape just comes off instead. (think air pressure)

I have played with other colors such as blue and green, but
the gold color has stood the test of time.

73,
Randy
K4QO