[TenTec] Identification of filters in my Corsair

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 21:46:29 EDT 2005

--- James Duffer <dufferjames at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am wanting the Ten-Tec idntification of the crystal
> filters in my Corsair.
>
> On the PBT 80979 Rev A board the .25 position.  I have a 6
> pole filter with
> two banks of three each crystals.  On one crystal on one
> bank is stamped
> 48054.  On the other bank of three, two crystals have the
> following:  one
> has NSI, another has 84-05.  What is the 3 number Ten-Tec
> part for this filter?

282

> In the 0.5 position of the board another 6 pole filter with
> the following
> stamped on the crystals 48053, NSI, 84-04.  Similar to the
> .25 filter.  What is this Ten-Tec number:

285

> In the 2.4 position an eight (8) pole crystal filter is
> marked 48074, NSI,
> 84-01.  What is the Ten-Tec filter number for this filter?

I'm not aware of the 2.4 kHz filter ever being offered as an
option, so as far as I know it does not have any "28x"
designation.

> On the board 80977 is an 8 pole filter with a crystal
> stamped 8321 and
> another stamped in black ink 220.  I believe the 220 is the
> Ten-Tec number
> for this particular filter.  If not please enlighten me.

Yupp you're right. It's the only 9MHz filter in a Corsair.

> I just sold a Corsair recently and the filters were plainly
> marked with 3
> digit numbers.  I am wondering what is the deal with these
> filters.

My interpretation (ok, ok so it's only a guess) is that the
filters that do not have the model numbers i.e. 282, 285,
288, etc. stamped on them were factory installed with the
radio when it was built. Those that do have the 3 digit model
number are added after the radio left the factory. Any better
guesses???

Not sure what the NSI is for but the 4 digit numbers are
manufacturing date codes. So "8321" means that it was
manufactured in the 21st week of 1983. BTW that 4 digit
component coding scheme is quite common for electronic
component parts of all kinds. They often provide some rough
clues as to when a piece of equipment was made. Not all
components have them but many do, and not all 4 digit codes
are date codes, so be carefull when when trying draw
conclusions from those numbers. And in some cases when
service work was done to a piece of gear some much newer
codes will be present, - again use caution.

Even with those cautions you can still usually estimate a
piece of equipment's age with an accuracy of 6 months to a
year or so of when it was manufactured.

Duane
N9DG