[TenTec] Orion Sub-Receiver Trouble

TJ Sheffield kl7ts at hotmail.com
Fri May 6 16:00:04 EDT 2005

On an intermittent basis my Orion sub-receiver will display approximately
“five bars” of noise while the main receiver may show S-2.  Both receivers
are on 20m at present.

If I tune the sub-receiver down to 13.000.000 the “five bars” of noise is
still displayed and the hash is still heard in the sub-receiver.  If I tune
to 12.999.900 the “five bars” of hash drops entirely and a more reasonable
1-1/2 bars of “normal” background hiss is heard.

The sub-receiver noise at 13.000.000 and above sounds something like a
mixture of high and low tones that are cycling, burbling and/or pulsing at a
rapid rate.  Sorry I don’t have a more technical description for this noise!
  Tuning to 12.999.900 and below the hash disappears and I hear the “normal”
background hiss of a quiet band.

If the sub-receiver is above 13.000.000 and I cycle the main power switch
off / on the condition persists.  If I tune to 12.999.990 and cycle the
power the condition is “cured” but a noticeable “pop” is heard when rolling
from 12.999.900 to 13.000.00 however the sub-receiver hash is gone.

When the sub-receiver noise is present the rig is not useable for split
operation but the “cure” at least is available.  I’m running the latest
firmware.

These observations will be cross-posted to “ditsnbits” but I though I’d
mention it to the group.

Thanks very much,

TJ Sheffield, KL7TS
Anchorage, Alaska