[TenTec] Burned at the bay

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 11:50:24 EDT 2005

Hi Danial,

I was out of Ham Radio for several years, When I got back in, I was
fortunate when I bought the two omni D's as I knew they were not in great
shape from the seller, paid $400 for the both and he threw in a broken 252M
for free, they had all the filters and both had two Extra WARC kits in.

It took a couple of months of puttering on them, but basicly the antenna
diodes and the rf amplifier on both were bad, fixed them and some odds and
end connectors.  The contacts on all those band switches needed cleaning,
the board connectors were all cleaned, The PTO's weren't difficult either,
just alot of careful attention as the face plates as they were removed to
get to all the mechanisms,  I used some new felt to replace the old ones and
found some grease that would not seiz up to finish it off.  To fix the
On-Off audio control, TT doen't have parts, but found a similar control in
100 ohms, so took the original graphite plate out of the one in the unit
wiped it up and replaced it with the one in the new control to give it the
proper resistance.

Things can be done to 40 year old rigs to make them perform like new if you
are creative.  Both came alive and worked very nicely,  Sold them both to
new hams on "EB", one in GA and one in AZ,  both were happy with them and
reported back to me that they were impressed by the low noise of the OMNI D.

Got serious about contesting and went on to TT's new rigs primairily because
of the impressions from the OMNI D's.

Best wishes,
Rich
K5SF