[TenTec] hiss hiding, was Omni C vs Corsair II

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Wed May 11 19:20:12 EDT 2005

The Triton through the Omni series were all quiet receivers. Narrow xtal
filters were added to the Triton to make it an Omni. On the Omni C, a small
transistor amplifier kicks in when using the 500hz cw filter. This adds just
a touch extra noise. Otherwise, the Triton and Omni are neck and neck for
noise. Being single conversion rigs, they had few mixer stages thus less
opportunity for noise.
Then came the Corsair. Passband tuning was added. To achieve this feat meant
another mixer and another IF stage. The extra IF at 6.3mhz eliminated the
17m spur but added noise and lots of it in the form of hiss or white noise.
In the original Corsair you just had to live with the noise.
Then came the Corsair II. Still had the extra noise but they added a tone
control. Turning this control to minimum treble cut down on the
hiss.....some.
Then came the Paragon...Same PBT, same hiss but now they added a tunable
audio filter which helps hide the hiss better than a tone control.
Then came the Omni V with the wonderful PBT but still hissy.
They came the Omni VI. Still hissy but now we have DSP to help hide the
hiss. Works pretty slick as far as hiss hiding goes.
So this is why one can listen to the Triton or older Omni series and come
away smiling. This is why people have a hard time giving them up.
I played with the Flex-Radio SDR for a few weeks. I got the same buzz. It
was as if my ears were directly connected to the ether! Crazy thing was
useless as a transmitter and flaky as a june bug though. It's SINGLE
CONVERSION! Man you talk about quiet! Some day I hope others follow this
lead and perfect it.
Bottom line here is; too many mixers spoil the radio.

Steve Ellington
N4LQ at iglou.com