[TenTec] Phase Noise on Jupiter

Mike Hyder -N4NT- mike.hyder.n4nt at charter.net
Wed May 11 23:08:42 EDT 2005

I've never heard a Jupiter but owned a Yaesu FT-757GX years ago when they
were new.  That rig had a hashy sound to CW signals.  A signal could never
override the noise.  The stronger a signal, the stronger was the hashy
modulation on it.  I was told that I was hearing "phase noise," but that may
well have been an old wives' tale.

Over the weeks that I owned that Yaesu, I operated less and less and started
having health problems.  I began having pretty bad muscle tension that led
to bad headaches when I operated.  One night I sat still when I powered down
the rig.  I could feel all the tension drain from my muscles and shortly my
headache was gone.

That rig hurt my toes when I drop-kicked it out of the shack window.

If the Jupiter sounds anything like that FT-757GX, be careful not to hurt
your toes.

73, Mike N4NT