[TenTec] Orion TX Audio Settings & PR-40

N0KHQ@aol.com N0KHQ at aol.com
Thu May 12 21:09:49 EDT 2005

Hello Manny,

The PR-40, as shipped from the factory, is unbalanced. Meaning that pins 1  &
3 are jumped together and grounded to the mic case. To balance the mic, it
is necessary to pull the XLR out of the mic case and cut the jumper going from
pin#3 to pin#1. Or, you can return the mic back to Heil Sound and Bob will
send  you a balanced PR-40. I ran into the same problem with my Orion and PR-40.

If your Orion is a later model, after May or June of 2004, the mic input is
balanced as follows:

Pin#1 = Audio +
Pin#2 = Audio -
Mic Shell = Ground (the mic shell is grounded to the Orion chassis)

The settings I use with the Orion / PR-40 are as follows: (I have a deep
voice, your settings may vary)

TXEQ = ( - 18db )
L.F Roll Off = 50hz
TX Filter BW = 3150
SP = 2
Mic Gain = 100%

I had to adjust the mic gain pot up to 100%, there is a small hole under  the
Orion just right of the left front foot to insert a plastic  screwdriver,
using a mirror and flash light its easy to see it and adjust.

Audio reports I have received have been very good. I'm very happy  with the
results.

I also have a complete audio rack including the DEQ-2496 that I don't use
anymore because I don't really think their necessary with the Orion / PR-40
combo.

Manny, there aint no way that you can compare the TS-850 / DSP-100 audio to
the Orion's audio. The TS-850 / DSP-100 combo is king and will be for a  long
time. But, the Orion's receiver is king, that's why I sold my TS-850S,
TS-950SDX, IC-756 Proll and Jupiter.

Have fun, hope this info helps. If I can be of further assistance please
contact me directly.

73

John / N0KHQ / St. Louis
_http://www.hamuniverse.com/antennas.html_