[TenTec] Ten-Tec "Hiss"

We5f@aol.com We5f at aol.com
Fri May 13 23:35:48 EDT 2005

>I have experienced the same problem with various rigs (Ten Tec's and others)
and I use an external audio filter to mostly eliminate the high frequency
hiss while not hindering the cw signal. I've used the OHR SCAF, Idiom Press
Scaf, various Datong's, and other analog audio filters with good results.<

As Tim, NZ8J, points out, an external low-pass filter such as the SCAF can
reduce the audible phase noise hiss significantly.  If you can't eliminate it at
the source, could you just reduce it as it's heard?

Has anyone tried intalling a low-pass filter just before the speaker?
Something similar to the crossover networks used in speaker systems?  Perhaps a
cutoff frequency, Fc, of 6,000 Hz, and 12 dB/octave rolloff above that?  Would it
significantly affect the SSB copy or fidelity of AM reception?

The following link has some filter circuits:
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross12db.asp

73, Jim K5HO