[TenTec] hiss hiding - Some Corsair II Experiments - Revisited

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 23:13:22 EDT 2005

Well I did some more experiments tonight and made a few
relative measurements. One thing that I was able to determine
is that the PBT board in the CII provides about 10-12dB gain.

I also found that the relative broadband noise from the CII
varies by about that same 10-12 dB depending on whether the
PBT is in line or is by-passed completely as described below.

Test conditions for both configurations (PBT board in line
and out):

1. Fed -120dBm signal from a signal generator on 28.2 MHz.
Picked -120 dBm because it did not cause any AGC action (no
S-meter deflection) in the RX with the RF gain fully
clockwise.
2. AGC off, 2.4 kHz filter setting for the 6.3 MHz IF, PBT
zeroed, RF gain control at max.
3. Fed PC sound card from headphone output jack.
4. Ran SR5 Spectrum Analyzer software.
5. With PBT board in line set CII's volume control to get the
carrier tone to an even 10dB grid line of the SR5 program's
display. Was also careful to not overload sound card or to
allow the CII's audio amp be driven to compression. The CII
volume control under these conditions about 4.5.
6. Observed the level of broadband noise on the SR5 display.
7. Moved the IF jumper cables in the CII to bypass the PBT
board. All other CII settings and SR5 settings remained
constant.
8. Observed the change in levels on the SR5 display. The
carrier tone dropped by the 10-12dB, as did the broadband
noise.

As an interesting side note the broadband audio noise from
the CII extends from near 0 Hz to about 7 kHz. The IF filter
passband shape is readily observable but the broadband audio
noise rolls off above ~2.5 kHz in a rather gradual taper out
to the 7 kHz point where it essentially meets the noise floor
of my audio test configuration. The SR5 program was able to
display signals out to 11kHz.

I chose 28 MHz and a weak signal to best simulate the
conditions that I want to be using the CII RX for in my
shack. I intend to use the Corsair II as a second RX for my
VHF+ weak signal bands. The CII being fed signals from the
DEMI transverter.

Duane
N9DG