[TenTec] AL 811 High Input SWR with OMNI V. More Info.Interesting...

OTAKEBI@aol.com OTAKEBI at aol.com
Mon May 16 22:48:33 EDT 2005

Seems the meter on the OMNI V may be the problem.
Did more investigating since last post.
High input SWR on reflected setting of OMNI V meter only takes place when I
use CW mode and pulser to tune Ameritron AL811 amplifier.
SWR is 1.1.5 when I use Tune on OMNI.
SWR is 1.1.5 when I push SSB to full output with modulation by tone.
I then went direct to antenna from rig and took amplifier out of line.
Tune produced 1.1.5.
SSB with tone produced 1.1.5.
CW with pulser produced slightly under 3.1 in CW mode
If I send CW at over 15 WPM with no amplifier in line, in CW mode, reflected
setting on the meter goes to 3.1.
I know the SWR from rig to antenna with no amplifier in line is flat,
measured with Bird, so most be the reflected position of the OMNI V meter in the CW
mode is not a good indicator.
Could be a design problem.
No one would tune in CW unless they use a pulser like me.
Can anybody post an explanation?
Could be a good question for you Scott and the boys at TT.
At least I know my finals on the OMNI are safe.
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Dan/N4VET