[TenTec] Sub-receiver noise redux

TJ Sheffield kl7ts at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 17:19:20 EDT 2005

I’m running firmware version 1.372 and using DX4WIN Ver. 6.04 to communicate
with the Orion on a serial port.

A master re-set doesn’t eliminate this condition.  Below certain frequencies
the noise disappears.  Cycling the power when the sub-receiver is tuned
below these frequencies fixes the condition, at least until it recurs on a
random basis.  I am unable to determine if some combination of band /
frequency / mode choice precipitates this condition.

Rolling the sub-receiver across the following frequencies shows where the
noise is present or absent (by mode):

UCW  13.000.640  Present,   13.000.630 Gone

LCW  12.999.300  Present,   12.999.290 Gone

USB  12.999.970  Present,    12.999.960 Gone

LSB  12.999.970  Present,    12.999.960 Gone

AM   12.999.970  Present,    12.999.960 Gone

FM   12.999.970  Present,    12.999.960 Gone

Please try rolling your sub-receiver across these frequencies and let me
know if you detect an audible pop or other indication that something may be
happening in this region.

In my case, even when the S-5 noise is gone, I can detect an audible pop
when the sub-receiver is tuned across these frequencies.

Thanks very much,

TJ Sheffield, KL7TS
Anchorage, Alaska

On an intermittent basis my Orion sub-receiver will display approximately
five bars of noise while the main receiver may show S-2.  Both receivers are
on 20m at present.

If I tune the sub-receiver down to 13.000.000 the five bars of noise is
still displayed and the hash is still heard in the sub-receiver.  If I tune
to 12.999.900 the five bars of hash drops entirely and a more reasonable
1-1/2 bars of normal background hiss is heard.

The sub-receiver noise at 13.000.000 and above sounds something like a
mixture of high and low tones that are cycling, burbling and/or pulsing at a
rapid rate.  Sorry I don’t have a more technical description for this noise!
  Tuning to 12.999.900 and below the hash disappears and I hear the normal
background hiss of a quiet band.

If the sub-receiver is above 13.000.000 and I cycle the main power switch
off / on the condition persists.  If I tune to 12.999.990 and cycle the
power the condition is cured but a noticeable pop is heard when rolling from
12.999.900 to 13.000.00 however the sub-receiver hash is gone.

When the sub-receiver noise is present the rig is not useable for split
operation but the cure at least is available.  I’m running the latest
firmware.

These observations will be cross-posted to “ditsnbits” but I though I’d
mention it to the group.

Thanks very much,

TJ Sheffield, KL7TS
Anchorage, Alaska