[TenTec] My new ORION

wq7x@cox.net wq7x at cox.net
Mon May 23 17:05:28 EDT 2005

Grant,
1.No, the real difference will not became apparent because IC7800 can easily handle
signal 599+35dB at 1kHz spacing. My Orion and many other Orion's can't handle that
with the current fimware.Ten Tec knows about the problem with the distortion of strong
signals.
However your statement would be correct if Orion could handle strong signals without
distortion.That was the case with some other versions of firmware.
So, is my statement correct.ON CW 100Hz BP filter on Orion is actually 300Hz?

2.With my quiet antenna on 40m (3el Quagi) I get many strong signals and at the same time
week dx signals just above the noise floor.I can't copy some of those week signals
because of the distortion. However, the reason that most of us purchased Orion
is to be able to receive week signals when strong signals are present.
My Elecraft K2 has no problem with that.Obviously Orion should be little better than K2
(has lower phase noise for instance).

3.Example: SSB mode I have pushed NB and then there is a carrier so I would like to engage
  AN and then I would like to turn off NB. Guess how many times You have to push those
  bottons. First I push AN, so now is highlighted and than I need to push again so it will
  engage and so on.

I'm really not interested to promote the ORION as a perfect TRX. I'm much more interested
in exchanging  information about the real issues, so Orion will became "perfect" TRX- because is not to far from it.
Constructive criticism can help TEN Tec and all owners of the ORION.
best 73 Mark WQ7X