[TenTec] My new ORION

wq7x@cox.net wq7x at cox.net
Mon May 23 19:26:57 EDT 2005

Grant,
1.I'm talking about narrow dynamic range as well.
Right now Orion will not handle week signal at 1kHz or 5kHz spacing from the strong signal S9 +35dB. This is the fact.
Everything is distorted-period.I'm not talking about specification. This is real life test with 1.372 firmware.
IC7800 will handle week signal under the same condition.
I know -I did it.
2. Orion will handle week signals close to strong one
perhaps even better than IC7800 but only with different firmware. I will not go back to 1.371 I will take  new one 2.0.
3. I don't care about your radio I care about majority of Orion's with 1.372. This is known problem and Bill has described it very well.
4. Everybody would prefer to turn the function ON or OFF
with one PUSH of the botton-this is normal way.
You should not need to push "AN" first to get black backround on it and than push it again to turn it "ON".

Also, tell me how many times do you have to turn the knob
in order to lower  the AGC treshold from 10uV to 0.37uV- is it about 200 times? This needs to be corrected as well.
Anybody else has this problem???

I like my radio but it has problems.Even Ten Tec will tell you that.
Also,I'm sure that Ten Tec will improve ORION.
But they need good feedback.
If everything is so good like you are trying to tell everybody, than why good number of ORION's was returned to Ten Tec for refund. We need to help Ten Tec to stop this
trend. We will not do good job if we close our eyes and pretend that everything is great.
Ten Tec and Elecraft are the only two Co. that understand
how to design good RX. So, Ten Tec just needs to finish
this great radio.
Mark WQ7X