[TenTec] My new Orion

Barry Gross barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Tue May 24 19:35:42 EDT 2005

On 5/24/05, wq7x at cox.net <wq7x at cox.net> wrote:

> BCI overload is from very strong AM station close to my house. I have just measured with the scope and the max. P-P voltage =2.00V at 50 Ohms.
> I didn't have much time (lunch time) to take this measurement. I need to make sure that there is no error.
> When I engage attenuator in my Orion  (preamp OFF) the IMD signal drops proportionally.
> That tells me that overload is happening before the attenuator. When I put external attenuator at the antenna input than IMD is gone.
> Also, if I put external High Pass filter IMD is gone.
> That is why I'm looking at diode protection circuit right before the attenuator. Unless there is some other circuit before that and I didn't
> find it yet.
> There is no BCI IMD in K2 or TS930s or FT1000D.

I don't believe my BCI problem is at nearly as high a level as yours,
but I' ve experienced BCI IMD on every rig I've brought into the shack
as soon as the stations crank it up every morning.  FT1000MP, FT1000D,
Orion, whatever.  I just use a quality highpass filter in the line and
it cleans it right up.  No big deal.

73,
Barry N1EU