[TenTec] omini 6+ & antenna question

kz2g@optonline.net kz2g at optonline.net
Wed May 25 06:47:48 EDT 2005

I'm using a Ten Tec Omni 6+.  My antennas are a 17-meter mobile whip tuned for 20-meter with my mfj Versa Tuner II.  My other antenna is the radiating element of a Mosely TA-33 jr beam used as a non-rotatable trap dipole and no tuner.  My coax is about 30 years old.  Here's my problem:

When I transmit using over 15 watts, the S zero noise level I had before transmitting, pops up to an S 3 and stays there for about 30 seconds after I stop transmitting.

When I use 100 watts, at times my SWR pops way up and I must re-tune my whip antenna with my tuner.

On rare occasions, after I stop transmitting, I have a very weak receiver.  I must hit my dit or dah paddle on my cw paddles and my receiver pops up to a hot receiver again.

What do you think is causing these problem?  Arcing in my tuner?  A bad TR relay in my Omni 6+?  A bad antenna ground?  RF getting into the rig?  Bad coax?  Or bad antennas?

Bob Mauro, KZ2G Via Web Mail