[TenTec] Omni V

We5f@aol.com We5f at aol.com
Sat May 28 12:02:08 EDT 2005

Hello, fellow Ten-Tec Fans:

I just purchased a "new" Omni V.  I'll be getting the matching power supply
and adding all the optional filters over time.  However, I wanted to ask for
some guidance and learned opinions from the group.

This one is serial number #94A10059.  I assume this means it was rig #10059,
and it was manufactured in 1994.  Is this correct?  Where does this one fall
on the total list of Omni V's manufactured?  Are there any particular "issues"
with this vintage Omni that I should be aware of?

I'm aware that N4PY has a V.9 mod.  What are the pros/cons?  Is it worth the
effort?  I don't need direct keypad entry of frequency or use memory storage
much.  As far as I can tell, it isn't worth the effort (for me).  However, the
spotting feature would be nice ...

I'll be adding one 9mHz filter for CW.  Should I get the 500 Hz or 250 Hz
filter?

Is the FM board still available anywhere?

I'd like to be able to adjust power output down to less than 5 watts using
the front panel control.  Is there a tuning procedure or separate mod to
accomplish this?

TIA/73, Jim K5HO