[TenTec] ORION BCI

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Sat May 28 22:47:50 EDT 2005

Eric:

Were you able to determine if the 160M / BC interference from the stations
was fundamental overload or IM?

I've found both to exists however, many times the source is external to the
radio and thus is IM as a result of non-linear devices in the field of RF
from multiple sources.

In one case I solved, the interference was the result of transmitter IM
being from 5 different sources mixing in the PA of a VHF paging TX.  Took
some good software to find this one and lots of listening to figure which 5
TX's was on the air when it happened.  They were communications sources
which were of dispatch nature and thus only transmitting briefly.  A
circulator was placed in the output of the offending TX and the problem was
solved.

These guys complain about BCI and IM.  To that I say HA!  My ORION is at a
5KW AM TX site.  The 75M center fed antenna is tied to one end of the AM
radiator with the end insulator about 45 feet from the tower.  To add insult
to injury, there is a  50KW SW AM station is about 2 miles away.  It
operates mostly near the 40M band.  Needless to say, there's a good bit of
RF around the ORION  which is located about 30 feet on the desk from the BC
TX.   NO BCI exists, no external filters required.

>From my perspective, most hams don't have a clue as to what a "clean site"
actually is and most are very poor RF technicians with even a poorer
understanding of good engineering practice.

73
Bob, K4TAX