[TenTec] jupiter replies

joel hallas jrhallas at optonline.net
Wed Nov 2 15:15:58 EST 2005

The Corsair is a fine radio, except it is very limited in split freq
operation (+/- about 2 kHz with RIT, as I remember)  without the hard to
find external VFO. The Omni V (and VI) have built in dual VFO
functionality  that avoids that issue. So I'd say the Omni V is far more
useful than the Corsair if split frequency operation is ever
contemplated. That's why I got rid of my Corsair after many years as a
satisfied user - I couldn't find a VFO for it!

In addition, the near in dynamic performance of the Omni V can be
upgraded to Orion-like specs with the addition of the InRad roofing
filter mod (see my review in Feb 05 QST and http://www.qth.com/inrad/.)
The table below is from George's web site and shows the improvement he
has measured with the Omni VI (V should be similar). This will make a
big difference in contest or DX chasing performance.

Tone Spacing OEM 600 Hz filter
2400Hz filter

2 kHz 79 dB 94 dB 85.5 dB
5 kHz 82.5 97 95.5