[TenTec] FT9000 ETR available

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sun Nov 13 08:56:34 EST 2005

N1JM;
 >But if I read in between the lines of his paper, there is more to a radio
than basic receiver performance.

         True...it's a matter of priorities depending on your
preferences.  As I've said many times, people choose products
(not just radios) for a huge variety of reasons...styling,
status, performance are just a few of them.  Each of us places
different priorities on these depending on individual needs.
What's best for one of us is not necessarily what's best for
another.

         But let's be careful not to confuse marketing hype
like this:

"The result is 110dB dynamic range, +40dB 3rd order intercept point
in HF bands and other phenomenal performance features. The receivers
combine various current and new technology, to obtain the +40dBm IP3,
a specification never before achieved in Ham radio. Quite simply put,
the IC-7800 is the ultimate Ham radio. Nothing else comes close!

or this:

Over four years in development, the FT DX 9000 is the ultimate achievement in
RF design in the Amateur Radio industry. Its identical Dual Receivers feature
unmatched real-world dynamic range, selectable Roofing Filters, 32-bit IF DSP
with Adjustable Filter Response Contours, and four antenna ports.

...with actual performance.  I believe that is Sherwood's
main point.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV