[TenTec] cw settings

Barry Gross barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:38:18 EST 2005

It shouldn't be hard to set up a convincing experiment in your shack.

Tune a second rig's rx to your Orion's fundamental, with a narrow cw filter
engaged. Use some combination of antennas, etc. to limit the Orion sig
strength between s9 and s9+30dB or so.

I used an FT-1000D with 250hz filters and had the Orion fundamental sig at
s9+20dB. I keyed the Orion using MOX to take t/r switching out of the
picture. I varied the cw rise/fall menu setting with the FT-1000D rx tuned
slightly off the fundamental. Here's what I found:

At -1.25khz, Orion's clicks were this strength at the risetime setting
shown:

3msec s5
6msec s3
8msec barely audible

At +1.5khz, Orion's clicks were this strength at the risetime setting shown:

3msec s6
6msec s5
8msec s3
10msec barely audible

These numbers might not translate directly to on-air readings, but they
confirm on-air reports suggesting a setting of 8msec or longer for the
Orion's risetime.

Barry N1EU