[TenTec] Orion 2

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Sat Nov 19 12:47:33 EST 2005

I understand the 8 pin connector is like some of the other current rigs that
use this connector.  Best wait for the final technical info however.

Sorry to hear about the failure of your Orion due to lightning.  As to a
lightning strike system that is fool proof.........well factually there is
no such critter.  It would take a conductor the size of a truck to handle
the current of a single direct stroke.

Now with that said, it would appear that system grounding at the station is
the fault for allowing such an event and damage to take place.  Ok, so you
did disconnect the antenna from the radio.  That's good.  But to the point,
this is not adequate in most situations.  The largest fault and general
oversight lies in the system where one has a ground for their tower/antenna
and a ground for the AC mains {as required by code}.  Most likely with this
condition one has an excellent path for lightning damage during a nearby
strike as the two grounds will be at different voltage potentials.  One must
accept the fact that any two points on the earth, regardless of spacing 10
ft or 100 ft or 1000 ft, will have some value of resistance.  The radio and
power supply usually have been found to be connected to what some call
"radio ground" and also AC mains ground via the power supply and 3rd pin AC
ground and or neutral.  Your antenna is not your problem.  Solution:  The
radio ground and the AC mains ground must be connected or bonded together
outside of the house. I use a piece of 1/2" soft copper water line, trenched
in only 2 or 3 inches around the foundation to connect the two grounds which
are some 60 ft apart.  Now some folks will argue that in doing this it will
bring lightning into the house via the wiring. Well this is exactly what
happened in an unbonded condition and most likely this is what damaged your
radio.

Look at your grounding system very carefully.  I'll bet you the price of a
new Orion II that you'll find fault with your ground system.  And to that
end, the generic application of "more grounds" is not the solution.  Correct
grounds is the proper solution.  The rule:  all grounds on the property must
be bonded together to provide a low resistance between the ground points.
Failure to do this will result in a "step voltage" between grounds and any
equipment connected to these grounds will become the path of lowest
resistance and maximum smoke.

73
Bob, K4TAX