[TenTec] OMNI V Question (vs. Corsair II & TS-830s)

Darwin, Keith Keith.Darwin at goodrich.com
Mon Nov 21 08:17:14 EST 2005

 I currently have an Omni V and a TS-830s.  My prior rig was a Corsair
II.  I have not had the chance to A/B compare the Omni V and Corsair II
so my comments are based on memories of the CII from 5 years ago.

I think the Omni is better on CW.  Better selectivity and QRM fighting
features.  The CII was nice but I don't recall the audio filter being
that effective.  CII had only one IF filter.  The Omni has the optional
9 MHz filter which helps.  Mine has a 1.8 KHz filter in the 9 MHz
position and it still helps on CW receive.  I can only imagine (great
song BTW) what it would be like with a 500 Hz in that slot.

The AGC circuit in the Omni is far better than the Corsair II.  I recall
(correct me if I'm wrong) that the AGC in the Corsair II was
audio-derived and suffered from strong signal overload just like the
older Omni D did.  Omni V has no such problems.

Now, comparing the Omni V to the TS-830s is a different story.  Omni V
is the choice for CW.  For SSB, my 830s is much better than the Omni V.
The VBT on the 830s does a better job of fighting QRM while retaining
intelligibility.  The Omni with both 1.8 filters engaged looses more
intelligibility while not being any better at eliminating QRM.  I also
find the audio section of the 830s to be quieter and with less
distortion than the Omni V.

If I had the money and space, I'd keep both and run the Omni on CW only
leaving all SSB duties to the Kenwood.  Alas, the real world dictates
one will be sold and at this point the Omni will be staying (I'm mostly
CW).

- Keith -