[TenTec] OMNI V Question (vs. Corsair II & TS-830s)

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 10:58:37 EST 2005

--- "Darwin, Keith" <Keith.Darwin at goodrich.com> wrote:

> I think the Omni is better on CW.  Better selectivity and
> QRM fighting
> features.  The CII was nice but I don't recall the audio
> filter being that effective.  CII had only one IF filter.

The Corsair's second IF could be loaded with filters just
like the Omni V. It does only have the single 2.4kHz wide
9MHz in the first IF though.

> The AGC circuit in the Omni is far better than the Corsair
> II.  I recall
> (correct me if I'm wrong) that the AGC in the Corsair II
> was audio-derived and suffered from strong signal overload
just
> like the older Omni D did.  Omni V has no such problems.

Yes the Corsairs are audio based AGC. Looking at the
schematic the AGC derived after the 9MHz product detector.

> If I had the money and space, I'd keep both and run the
> Omni on CW only leaving all SSB duties to the Kenwood.

This sounds like a perfect idea, you can never have to many
rigs... :).

Duane
N9DG