[TenTec] Bug = truly bad CW?

w8au@sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Tue Nov 22 12:52:13 EST 2005

At 08:35 AM 11/22/05, Ron Zond wrote:
>Most modern rigs have adjustments that permit emulation of bugs. Check the
>menus for dotsize and dashsize. With the right adjustment, you also can be
>a "swinger".

Not wanting to continue a subject that is not germain to this list, I will
briefly say that I understand the recent trend to CW ops using more bugs
than in the past 20 years.

As a kid I entered the ham game wanting to emulate W1AW's perfect code, and
with a Burstein-Applebee Co. Johnson SpeedX  bought with paper-route money,
I did so, paying attention to the perfect 3:1 ratios, etc.
After Jim Rick's W9TO keyer became popular, I jumped to that and the
perfect CW became much easier...

Then came keyboards... and although this kept CW alive and secure as a
viable mode, everyone began to sound "sterile" and it was hard to identify
anyone as there was no individual "signature" to lock on to.

About ten years ago I trotted out my old bug and practiced to get the feel
of it again, but in so doing, I did not adopt the "perfect" ratios that I
had done earlier.  I learned to emulate some of the OT ops I knew years ago
(some of which are still around) who had fists associated with the "Lake
Erie swing" and other rhythmic musical deliveries.  (TNX to OT Jack, W8MZV,
former WW2 Army Sig Corps Officer, for his "fast dits and slow dahs, a
master of the left handed bug!)  :-)

Admittedly it takes a bit more concentration to initially copy these type
fists, but after a short while it comes as naturally as copying perfect CW.
And the musical rhythm just adds enjoyment.

Today I use the keyer and bug 50/50, (mobile CW REQUIRES a keyer!) and when
working newer hams (at home) I use the keyer.  (keyboards are novel, but
I'd rather use one hand instead of two to send CW, if the speed is less
than 50 wpm...  Yes I also have a KB)  :-)

In summary, I think that the increased use of bugs today reflects the
user's increased appreciation of our heritage, and the desire to perpetuate
it.  Something like restoring old Boatanchor radios and old cars,
etc.  These pastimes to not threaten new technology at all, but blend in to
add color to our favorite hobby.

Happy Thanksgiving to all... (thankful for ALL varieties of CW)  :-)

Perry    w8au