[TenTec] QRP-Where's the Challenge?

richard.arland@verizon.net richard.arland at verizon.net
Tue Nov 22 18:03:24 EST 2005

Having a reasonable amount of success running QRP over the years, I just have to wade in on this thread.

First of all, the MAJORITY of the QRP ops I work are no where near the noise level. Most of the time they are between S-3 and S-7 on the meter. No big deal copying that type of signal unless the band conditions are on the down side of horrendous.

Second: Many times those who bad mouth QRP for what ever reason, are the folks who have spent a small fortune on their high power stations only to find that some schmuck using an Argonaut 509 running 5 watts of RF output to a good antenna system is busting the same pile-ups that they are. Life is somehow so unfair.....more money spent means more DX worked, right?

Third: Ham radio, by its very nature, is a challenge. I never get tired of the process of making contacts and talking to people around the country and world using a medium that does not require wires. It is a thrill. We have a great hobby.

My QRP rigs (a T-T Paragon backed down to 5 watts output and an Elecraft K2) are top quality radios. I like the Paragon better simply because this radio is bigger, likewise the knobs, buttons and controls are also bigger and easier to use. The Paragon is a very intuitive radio to use. Everything is just where it needs to be and it all works like it should. The learning curve is not a steep one and the process is quick and painless.

Unfortunately, while the K2 is an outstanding performer it is not an intuitive radio to learn to use. It has many menus and multiple keystrokes are required to do even some of the basic operational functions. I tend to forget the process unless I have the manual in my lap. I built the K2 and enjoyed the process. Tis radio is a superb rig and, with the DSP option, it really performs in a stellar manner. But I still like the Paragon better due to the intense learning curve required on the K2.

One final thought: If you can't copy an S-3 signal under normal band conditions, then you really ought to find another hobby.

73

Rich K7SZ