[TenTec] Speaking of Argo V - how are they?

RaySoifer@cs.com RaySoifer at cs.com
Tue Nov 22 15:45:18 EST 2005

Keith.Darwin at goodrich.com writes:
> I'm assuming the Argo V is a good 2nd rig but is not what you want for
> heavy contesting or DX chasing.

Hi Keith,

That's about right.  No, the receiver isn't as good as an Orion or my FT-102,
but after nearly a year of operation I can say that if you can't copy a
station with the Argo V, you probably can't work it with 20 watts anyway.

The Argo V is intended for fixed or mobile operation, not for backpacking.
For those who want to carry a radio up to the top of a mountain, put up a
Buddipole and operate, it's not the radio they want.  They want an Elecraft.  But,
if you want a nice second or third radio in your shack that will give you lots
of fun on CW, plus RTTY and PSK using nothing more than audio cables to your
sound card (no interface box needed), and don't want to build it yourself, the
Argo V may be for you.  (Tip: get the TCXO version)

73,

Ray W2RS