[TenTec] Comments on "Repairs"

OTAKEBI@aol.com OTAKEBI at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 23:34:27 EST 2005

Larry, you have found your problem.
You have a reactive SWR at some frequencies.
Your Ten Tec has no SWR foldback and needs a breaker to protect the rig  from
reactive loads or amp overdraw from the power supply.
If you would have had a 20 amp supply you might have gotten away with it
because you would have noticed the supply go out of regulation prior to the
destruction of the finals.
You would have heard hum or had some other indication of all that amp  draw.
Or, the finals might have gone first anyway.
It would have been a luck of the draw.
With that big Astron it was like giving a drunk all the whiskey he  wanted.
When you get the rig back from Ten Tec put in the  Airpax breaker.
I bet that breaker will go out often to protect your rig.
I know those Airpax work.
They have saved me more times than I can count.
They kind of freak you out when they pop.
But, all you have to do is reset them.
They also save the on/off switch on the rig.
I turn on the power strip, turn on the power supply and, flip the  breaker.
The on/off switch on the rig stays on all the time.
Much easier to replace a breaker instead of the rigs  switch.
Have fun,
Dan/N4VET