[TenTec] Fw: Your semi-annual Astron tip...

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Nov 29 10:48:01 EST 2005

HI Rich,

Hope things are well with you.

That's a great mod, but...

gosh, where do you find a 2 watt resistor these days?

Years ago I had one of the best sorted junk boxes the world had ever seen.
Due to heavy work load, I hardly had time to build stuff, so I donated the
three 6' high wooden chest of drawers filled with sorted parts to my local
club, thinking I could still have access to anything I needed.  Then I
moved.  Now I hardly have any discrete components. When I build something, I
simply make a parts list and go to the store.  It's easier.  But resistors
come in 1/4w these days!

I know a little hole in the wall shop downtown that still has old parts.
I'll look there.  Otherwise I combine several.

Had bad luck in the CQWW.
I blew up:
- my TS480
- my Henry SS750 linear
- my Ten-Tec 9420 P.S.

I used to think it was bad luck when an antenna fell down.
Now I know what bad luck is.

I just sent the Kenwood back for guarantee repair.
I'll tackle the SS750 next.
Hope it's not the transistors.

The biggest challenge will be the 9420.
It's so big and heavy, I don't know if my workbench (a home-brew table) will
hold up under the weight!

73
Rick