[TenTec] Station and AC Ground

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Tue Nov 29 16:28:38 EST 2005

Although I don't know if my system, or anyone's system could really take the
full brunt of a direct strike (although I know several have claimed so), I
do agree that even a few tenth's of an ohm of resistance is a serious issue.

Also, in the event of taking, let us say, a heavy load from at least a very
nearby strike, you might have enough current to heat joints up enough to
melt solder and even silver solder.  For that reason, I braze all my ground
connections with pure copper brazing rod  (ok, it has a few percent
phosphorous mixed in) that melts at a temperature only a little less than
that of the copper conductors themselves.  In this way I get a very low
impedance connection that won't blow apart under a very heavy load.

If, for whatever reason, I can't braze it, then I use very heavy mechanical
bonding, perhaps in combination with solder or silver solder, to try to
insure the connection survives under very heavy loads.

Better than this I cannot do.  Incidentally, I use large diameter, soft
copper, refrigeration copper tubing for my ground conductors where possible.
This can be selected in a size to fit firmly over the OD of the ground rods,
and then brazed in place.  Very low impedance, as long as the length is
either significantly less than 1/4 wave or else a half wave long at the
frequency of interest.  Otherwise you get a very high RF impedance, and no
ground.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ