[TenTec] Omni-C on AM

Douglas sparks06524 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 13:58:24 EST 2005

Anyone ever play around with converting an Omni-C to
operate on AM, either receive or transmit?
No, I'm not interested in putting the rig on CB.

I'm one of those guys who occasionally fire up on 3885
AM. However, I'd like a rig for my secondary QTH and
the old Viking Valiant and 75A4 aren't too portable.

After looking at the schematic, I can see how the
balanced modulator could easily be unbalanced, much as
is done for CW operation. I'm wondering, assuming I
don't use the 750 Hz shift in frequency as in CW mode,
how much carrier suppression is created by the crystal
filter? I could easily bypass that but would then have
the risk of a very broad AM signal.

I'd probably use the SSB/R switch position to throw it
into AM mode, after some rewiring. Any such mods would
be easily reversible.

Thoughts?

Doug/WA1TUT