[TenTec] Openwire fed differently

joel hallas jrhallas at optonline.net
Sun Oct 2 13:58:23 EDT 2005

Actually, the loss is the same as for a single coax. The power is split
between the two and each half power part has a single coax loss. When
you combine them back, it's the same loss as in a single coax. Fox
example, let's say the coax matched loss is 10% and you have 100 W at
the bottom of the line; you will end up with 90 W at the antenna. If
instead your tuner is set for a 100 ohm balanced load and you have 100
ohms at the end of the dual-balanced coax, 50 W will go down each. The
loss in each half of the dual line will still be 10 % and we will end up
with 45 W at the far end of each "half-line". When combined you end up
with the same 90 W as in the single coax case.

The unmatched case may be better or worse than a single coax. Let's say
you are driving a matched 400 ohm line. With a single 50 ohm coax (with
its usual choke or some kind of balun) you will have an SWR of 8:1 and
the additional loss due to the high SWR. If you use the dual coax, each
one will see 200 ohms, and have the loss due to the  4:1 SWR, a lot
less. So far so good, but if the impedance at the bottom of the line is
12.5 ohms, the opposite occurs.

To find out where you are, use EZNEC or an impedance bridge or antenna
analyzer (May 05 QST, p 62) to find the antenna impedance, use TLW
(Transmission Line for Windows, free with the latest ARRL Antenna Book)
to determine the impedance at the bottom of your ladder line. For the
dual coax, divide real and  immaginary parts by 2 and run TLW again for
your coax type using the half value as the load on the coax. You will
determine the total loss and half the impedance at the bottom of the
dual coax.

I hope I'm making sense here?

GL & 73, Joel, W1ZR